It’s easy to be taken in by dog food treat manufacturers, thinking that we are giving our dogs healthy, nutritious treats. But PLEASE don’t give your dog any bleached rawhide treats that originate from China.
“Producing rawhide begins with the splitting of an animal hide, usually from cattle. The top grain is generally tanned and made into leather products, while the inner portion, in its “raw” state, goes to the dogs.” TheBark.com
Cattle hides are first soaked and treated with either an ash-lye solution or a highly toxic recipe of sodium sulfide liming. This process helps to strip the hair and fat that maybe attached to the hides themselves.
5 Reasons NOT to Use Rawhide Chew Treats
- Rawhide bones could be an inadvertent source of harmful chemicals for your dog.
- If it is of poorer quality (thinner and drier), your dog could literally break a tooth on it, causing much pain and high vet bills.
- Yummy flavored raw hide bones can cause issues for some sensitive dogs, i.e. vomiting & diarrhea.
- If not sized right for your dog, they can be a serious choking hazard.
- Large chunks can be swallowed whole. These are indigestible and can cause serious illness for your dog or even death.